Aerobatic flight is a specialized area of general aviation involving aircraft attitudes that are not used in normal flight. Thus, aerobatics can be defined as “precise maneuvering in three-dimensional space performed in an aircraft”. Aerobatics are performed mostly with airplanes and gliders, although some helicopters have also being used. Pilots use aerobatic flight for recreation, entertainment and sport, although some also use it for training and for building confidence in their flying skills.
Aerobatic flight can be categorized into two main groups: aerobatic air shows and air races. Both require high physical and mental strength.
|Aerobatic air shows|
|(Video embedded from YouTube on 15 August 2009)|
|Final 4 Red Bull Air Race 2009 (Video embedded from YouTube on 1 October 2009)|
Want to know more?
- AviationKnowledge - Aerobatics manoeuvres
- This AviationKnowledge page introduces the basic maneouvres in aerobatics.
- AviationKnowledge - Air shows
- This AviationKnowledge page discusses air shows further.
- Wikipedia - Aerobatics
- This Wikipedia page offers further information on aerobatics.